November 21, 2010

Opportunities for Growth

This weekend I had the opportunity to go with friends to the local Time Out For Women.  It was a wonderful experience.  I had never been to one before.  We left early Friday and had a fun day shopping (Window) and being together talking and having a fun time.  We tried chocolate at Gygi's in Salt Lake City and that was really good.  I also liked shopping here.  I'm a gadget girl and had a hard time being good and not spending until we were broke.  There was so many different kinds of gadgets, but I digress! 

On Friday night we went to the first part of the TOFW.  We listened to Sister Virginia Hinkley Pierce speak.  Wow!  I was so impressed by this woman.  She talked about how we measure our success by our church callings and how we tend to judge others on that also.  I'd never really thought about it, but we do and it's so wrong.  No calling is greater than another.  I've really learned that this year!  Having been called to RS President, I know I'm in this calling purely for my benefit.  I was called for my own personal growth and it is what Heavenly Father knew I needed.  I don't think of this as success, but as a time to experience things that others before me have had the opportunity to experience.  I only hope I don't hurt anyone in the time that I am growing and learning.  Then someone else will have the chance to grow and I'll help somewhere else.  That 's what it's all about, not the calling.

Then we had the chance to hear Sister Heidi Swinton speak on her assignment by Pres. Monson to write his biography.  Holy cow, I would've been so overwhelmed.  I think she was a little, but she is so amazing!  She took this to heart and now we have a wonderful book that lets us see who the prophet was before he was called. 

It was such a fun night and then the next day we had a fun time listening to others teach us and strengthen our testimonies.  I really needed this weekend!  I needed the time to be with friends and to grow.  I hope I can take the things I learned and share and help other's grow now. 

Today I feel very blessed by having made new and wonderful friends in our new area!!  I also feel blessed from having my testimony strengthened this weekend by wonderful women who are so talented and willing to share! 

No comments: