August 30, 2011

Sugar Free


Okay so I'm at it again!  I don't know if I'm a glutton for punishment or what, but I'm trying to go sugar-free again.  It's day 3 and I'm dying!!  I did okay the first day, yesterday was a little harder, but today I tell you the cravings are horrible!  I could eat a whole cookie jar full of cookies, but then I'd feel guilty and my knees would ache and I'd be back in the same boat of starting over.  I've been eating good, healthy stuff - mostly fruits, veggies, meats and nuts.  But come afternoon around NOW, I get hit with cravings for sugary stuff.  Hopefully it won't last too long, because if I have another day like today I think I may just cave.

So a few months ago a lady in our area gave me some guidelines to follow - okay it was a strict diet.  My question is, who makes these things up?  I mean for a liver cleanse it says to eat only veggies (no corn), meat (no red or pork), nuts (no peanuts, those come at level 3), and I can have almond milk for 2 weeks.  Does this really cleanse your liver?  What if I only went on it for a week and then moved to the next step which is adding fruit?  Would that be bad?  It just makes me wonder how they know that this will really cleanse my liver and help me get off sugar?  Have they done studies?  If so where are they, I'd like to read them.

Anyway, this is my dilemma.  I really wonder if this will really work.  I know I need to eat healthy and get off so much sugar, but to what extent?  Do I miss out now on family dinners and birthday parties?  Is this really worth it?  I want to be healthy, but I also want to be normal (as normal as a person can be that has celiac).  I want to enjoy family gatherings as much as the next person.  So I ask you, what is a person to do?  Do I follow the diet or do I fudge just a smidge here and there?  Is that even healthy?  It's a conundrum! 

2 comments:

Kristanne said...

If you get on the internet and go to sites like Mayo Clinic or others like it, they generally have good info on what is really needed. I think people try a lot of things that may work for them, but that doesn't mean it is proven.

I agree that you want a normal life and I would fudge some. You have to, to enjoy life.

It all began here said...

I think the counsel everything in moderation is a good rule of thumb to follow.

See you soon.