February 02, 2011

Realizations!

So I had a job interview this week.  I had applied for a job that was posted as a part-time position. It would be working with the state.  I was so excited and went to the interview looking very professional in a suit.  The interview went very well, and then something happened!  On my way home from the interview I found myself praying that they wouldn't call me back.  I know, I know.  Stupid thing to want, but as I drove home I contemplated what was revealed in the interview.  It really wasn't a 20-hour a week  job.  During the interview I was told that it would be 20 hours minimum, but more like 30 to 40 hours a week.

As I continued to think about all that the job entailed, I realized I really have enjoyed having me time.  I like being able to go with my friends when we want to go shopping, I like being able to go with my kids to lunch, I will love being able to go and hold my granddaughter (coming in March) when she comes,  I love being able to do what I want to do when I want to do it.

It is crazy.  For so long (most of my life) I was taught, maybe taught isn't the word.  Maybe,  instead of taught I should say, it was implied that a woman wasn't a succes unless she was a mom and a career woman and could be organized and do it all.  Well, I'm here to tell you I've finally realized that this isn't so!!  I can be a success as a wife and mother without the career!  Don't get me wrong, I love to work and I've loved some of the jobs I've worked over the years, but truly, I don't need to work to be successful.  I have 4 beautiful children and I think they've grown up to be pretty wonderful people.  I have a super husband that is willing to support me in anything I want to do.  I love being able to do things around my house that makes it a nice place to live for our family.  I feel pretty special and pretty successful thus far. 

I think I will want to continue to grow in my life with my education and I may possibly want to work at something sometime, but that is no longer the driving force in my life to feel successful.  Isn't it sad that it's taken me so many years to finally figure this out.  But I'm glad I finally have.  I want to continue to be a positive force in the community, and I can do that without having to have a career.  Maybe at sometime I'll want to work, BUT I DON'T FEEL LIKE I HAVE TO DO THIS TO BE A SUCCESS. What an Ah-ha moment!!  I can enjoy and I will enjoy life so much more knowing that I can be successful without having to do it all!  I can't tell you the peace I feel now that I've come to terms with this.  It's one of those little (although to me it's BIG) tender mercies of our Heavenly Father.  To help me come to terms with what I'm doing in my life!  I love these moments of realization and am truly grateful!!

1 comment:

Logan said...

Mom, you have been an amazing help in my life! You are a success! I love you and just wanted to thank you for being such a good example, and raising me in a household which was focused on keeping the commandments of the Lord. I love You :)