August 23, 2012

Crazy Day!

My youngest daughter has been living at home since she graduated from High School this Spring and had decided that she was going to stay at home during her first semester of college.  Her father and I were totally on board with this.  Until we talked to a neighbor that has lived here in our new area for years.  He told us that part of the area that she would be traveling through from work each night gets really bad during the winter and that several people have lost their lives in that area.  We decided that we should all discuss this and make a decision as college begins this Monday (late time to make this type of decision, I know). 

So after much discussion and prayer, Hannah decided that it would probably be best for her to move to the town her college was located in (20 to 30 min away) so as not to have to travel late at night through the dangerous area this winter.  So, she and I began our search on the internet this morning.  We carefully made a list of the ones we had called that still had openings and that looked clean and fairly well-kept.  We drove past a couple and they weren't what they had looked like on the internet. They were a little sketchy to say the least.  We went to the third one on the list.  Talked to the on-site manager and he took us to look at the room.  There was a girl there that wouldn't let us look at the bedroom that she would share with my daughter.  She said it was because she had just gotten up. (I think there was someone else in the room.)  Anyway, the apartment was a disaster and so we moved on.  At the next apartments we went to, there was a very uplifting feeling.  They were very clean and well kept.  My daughter decided that this was the place for her.  We signed a contract and she began moving her things out this evening.  She is so excited! 

It happened so fast.  I thought I was really ready for this, but I have to admit, I'm a little sad and I'm going to miss having her around to talk to and do things with.  She has kind of been my buddy for many years.  She and I have had a lot of time together.  She is six years younger than her closest siblings (my twins), and so while they are married and gone she and I have been able to do so many things together.  I'm starting to feel a little like I'm lost.  I'm happy for her, but I'm so sad at the same time.  I guess I knew this time was not far off, but wow this happend way to fast!! 

I'm happy to see my children grow up and move on with their lives.  I mean isn't that what we raise them for.  When my first son left home, it was on a 2-year mission for our church.  I missed him dearly and I cried each time I'd go into his room for  a week.  But then I had 3 other children at home and we moved on and got busy.  When my twins left home, my daughter to Moab to be a river guide and my other son on a 2-year mission I had 3 gone at once, but I still had Hannah that needed me to care for her and I kept busy.  Now Hannah is leaving and I have time - oodles of time.  I think I need to look for a way to be a force for good in our community.  Maybe I need to go read to the children at the local elementary.  I will have to let you all know what I decide to do - it'll be an exciting change and hopefully a challenge!!

1 comment:

Kristanne C. Willden said...

I am sure it is an adjustment. I am a ways away yet as Jace is still in 5th grade, but Cade has a job and works every day, and that is different, though he is still at home. Hopefully we can his mission worked out soon. It would be so good for him.

Best of luck to Hannah and to you!!!