November 11, 2011

A Celiac's Night Out

Last night was our daughter's High school girl's soccer banquet.  I did the decorations for the tables and they turned out way better than I expected.  I will post pictures when I learn how to download them from my phone. 

But on to the subject at hand.  When my husband and I usually go out to dinner, it is at the same old place eating the same old thing.  I do this to ensure that I don't get gluten, or glutenized as we say around here.  So imagine my surprise when the manager of the "Lodge" at Maddox in Brigham City, Utah told me that they were prepared to offer me a gluten-free substitute for most of the dinner items. 

We had arrived early to decorate and the manager gave me a sampling of the rolls that were gluten-free.  They were great.  So when the rest of the team arrived and they started serving dinner, I got rolls just like everyone else.  I even got cornbread muffins.  Then they made me a turkey-steak dinner (Gluten-free of course) with all the trimmings.  I was so stuffed, no pun intended.  Then, one of the waiters asked if I wanted just a scoop of ice-cream for dessert and I told him "No" that I was okay with the meal I had eaten.   Well, shortly after the manager brought me a cinnamon roll covered in a caramel sauce with whipped cream (all gluten-free!!).  So of course I had to eat it.  It was truly delightful and I felt so stuffed but wonderfully so!!  It was so nice to go out for a special occasion and to be able to be treated so kindly!  I can't say enough about this place.  I can't wait to go back there again, it was wonderful!!

Oh, and my daughter was honored as an all region academic at the banquet.  She was one of three girls that had high enough grades to get this award.  She also lettered (this is her 3rd year lettering) and has done well this year and I'm proud of her.  She has loved playing soccer with the Bear River Girl's soccer team.  It has been a wonderful experience for her.

No comments: